’A girl from long ago took a handful of embers and threw them up in the air; and the sparks became stars’.
(A Bushman tale)
"FILM IST." is a reflexive statement. Film exists, without any definition. Film – understood as a medium for the production of moving images by light – is an optical pnenomenon and not an invention by human beeings. The first cinema was a cave in which beams of light, reflected from the outside world, entering through a small hole, produced an image of the outside world, upside down, and reversed, just after the earth’s crust had begun to set. A Camera Obscura for elemental forces. The course of the stars, the phases of the moon, eclipses of the sun and moon, lightning - images of light in the projection booth of the sky. Periodically recurring inspiration for the myths of the peoples of the earth. The constant protagonists of world cinema.
In this masterclass Gustav Deutsch has shown and discuss:
- The 360 degree Panorama of the Aegean Sea, created by the CAMERA OBSCURA on the island of Aegina/Greece, which is built on the foundaton of a German gun emplacement of the Second World War.
- A Hindi Film footage with Persian and French subtitles, that I found in the streets of Casablanca, lost by a film-reel transporter between two cinemas.
- A burning scyscraper on a Nitrate-film footage of a Kroation Cinema owner, heavily damaged by water, that had survived two World Wars in an Austrian cellar.
- A working copy of a Brazilian tele-novella, containing two frames from every scene to be used in determining exposure times, with notes as to filters and light values, which was used by a cleaning lady in Sao Paolo to scrub the floor-tiles of a bathroom.
- A decommissioned 35mm feature film footage with punched out binary codes, that was used by Konrad Zuses for his first fully functioning calculating computer, which he has built in the livingroom of his parents, in Berlin 1936.
- The sub-chapter 9.3.5 (Turning) of sub-chapter 9.3 (First contact) of chapter 9 (Conquest) from the image library of FILM IST.7-12.
- Chapter 9 (conquest) of FILM IST.7-12.
November 9th 2006, 14:30
Porto, Passos Manuel